13!
No, I'm not the winner of the megamillions jackpot (but that would be quite nice!) .... however, that IS the number of eggs we retrieved this morning! So happy! We were hoping between 10-15 so that number to me is perfect. I was on a fairly conservative protocol so that number is very appropriate. Yay!
The procedure itself was very quick. I arrived at 7:30 this morning and got taken back to my bed where I was to change into my snazzy pink hospital gownie and read over paperwork, consents, etc. One of the nurses started and IV and I was so pleased that he found a good vein in my hand and the stick didn't even hurt! I am a hard one to stick so I thanked him profusely!
I got IV fluids for about an hour. They were actually running a bit ahead -- good for me because I felt as though my follicles would burst at any second! I met the doctor who would be doing the retrieval and instantly liked her. She said she had reviewed all of my doctor's notes and let me know that because if my interestingly shaped cervix, they would be placing a stitch on it to assist with the actual transfer (not sure of anything more than that, but if it will help next week, I'm on board!). At around 8:45 I emptied my bladder, kissed the hubs and marched with my IV pole into the operating room. Laid down put my feet in the stirrups, confirmed my identity, the mask went on and that's about all I remember!
I woke up around 9:20 (so fast!) with quite a bit of discomfort. Apparently as I was just coming to, I told my nurse that I didn't want morphine. Ha! Don't remember that at all. Not that I didn't want pain meds, because I did need them. When I had my gallbladder out emergently last fall, one of the hospitals I was in kept giving me morphine, despite my pleas that it was going everywhere in my body except my painfully infected gallbladder! Luckily, it helped today. I asked for more meds than what was prescribed because I could hardly sit up and we had an hour or so car ride ahead of us. I'm glad I spoke up because it helped very much, along with the heating pads they gave us. We left just before 11.
Since I hadn't eaten or drank anything I was starving! I called in some Panera soup which we picked up on the way home. I settled in upstairs where I enjoyed every bite in bed before taking a much needed snooze :)
Next step is to hear from the embryologist tomorrow sometime between noon and 3pm. They'll let us know how many eggs fertilized and whether we will be having a 3- or 5-day transfer. We are hoping for 5, as I mentioned earlier.
Thanks to all of my friends and family for your support! This has been an exciting and emotional journey that is far from over (I hope!). Trying not to get overly optimistic ... but the hubby and I did talk a bit about potential baby names today ;)
Special thanks to a super sweet friend who sent me a care package that was waiting on my doorstep when I got home :) it made me smile, especially the lucky acorn socks, which I plan to show off at the transfer! <3
MIL decided to come spend the night which was nice of her. The hubs hasn't been feeling well the past few weeks ... high bp and migraines. No fun :( she's a former nurse so I'm happy she's here for the both of us.
Back to resting ... will check back tomorrow. I'm not going to make any guesses, but I'm hoping that greater than 50% of our eggies fertilize ... based on my research, this is an appropriate number to expect, since not all eggs extracted are necessarily mature, among other things ... we'll see :)
so glad to hear you had a great day! (granted, the pain isn't always 'great', but knowing what is happening now makes it so worth it!)
ReplyDeletecan not wait to hear more!!!
~hugs!~