Monday, January 30, 2012

Wow, I am terrible at blogging.

If blogging were my job, I'd surely be unemployed.

Lucky for me, it's not. It's a new year and I have a whole new outlook!

Last year was very tough for me. Every month that went by with no baby to show for it, I got more and more depressed. I survived the one year anniversary of my Mom passing away, celebrated my 2 year anniversary of being married, and at year's end, we found ourselves somewhere between 2 and 3 years of trying to conceive.

After our failed IUI in July (on our anniversary), we decided to take a much needed break from meds and doctors. Well, I did anyway. David saw a urologist, who checked for any physical or chemical reasons for his low counts and found nada. Which was good, and somewhat disappointing. During this journey, I've constantly been waiting for something to "fix" so we can be normal and have a baby the old fashioned way. But of course, it's not quite that simple.

We met with Dr. Khan a week or so ago to talk about IVF. It's not something I was thrilled about, but I wanted to be educated if this was in fact our next step, and so did David, so we went. We asked a lot of questions, well David did most of the asking, actually, since I've learned a lot from my BBC friends. It's a huge undertaking: physically, mentally and of course, financially. But with our situation, it's our best chance of having a family. Our chances with IUI were basically the same as naturally, about 10% (but even less with our issues), and with IVF, their success rates are about 57%.

I'm 27, David is almost 29. Some people may wonder why we are doing IVF now. We know we are "young" (not THAT young) and have at least a few good reproductive years ahead of us. But we're not the average couple. We have medical issues that prevent us from being able to conceive naturally. I'm so thankful that there is technology and science available that will be able to bring us the baby that we want SO badly.

And as my very wise friend Sabrina said, we can make money in the future ... in the future we can't just go get a child.

So, we have taken steps toward IVF, starting in March! We're so, so, so, so excited. Right now we're getting our finances in order and making sure my insurance company pre-authorizes everything. I'm lucky that I do have some infertility coverage, but it will still cost us quite a bit out of pocket. But to us, it is beyond worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment