Guess what? Dealing with infertility ain't cheap. If you exhaust all of the low-tech methods and move onto IVF, we're talking the cost of a car, 4 MacBook Pros, or a decent french horn. The cost of a child for the reproductively challenged is seriously freakin expensive.
But, what's money? Money is something we earn in order to afford things we want to enjoy in life. And there is nothing more I can think of that I want more than a child.
I'm trying to be better about money this year. My Italian self had an allowance of 75 euros/week for food and it was amazing what a little budgeting could do ... and what it would leave you leftover with at the end of the week. I scored 1euro gelato to splurge on Oil Shoppe sandwiches later. Or a quick trip to the beach. Or a few more minutes at the Internet cafe (wow I wish I remembered what that place was called ... it definitely had the word "chat" in the name and was definitely sketchy).
So when I think about the up front payment for IVF, it's definitely scary, and it's definitely everything we have. Which is why we decided to apply for a small loan. Facing the cost of pregnancy, childbirth, preparing for baby and then providing for that child for at least 18 years, we don't want to go into it underground. We think it's the smart decision so we have a little cushion on hand for the unexpected.
So, I just clicked "send" on all of our pre-approval paperwork. We should know for sure in the next few days where we stand and then it will all become more real.
No comments:
Post a Comment